Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Doug's Archaeology Carnival: December Questions

Last month, I answered the questions set by Doug of the Doug's Archaeology blog in preparation for the 2014 Society for American Archaeology's session on the role of blogging in archaeology. (For a full look at all the answers provided by a range of archaeological blogs, look here). Now that December is here, Doug has set those of us taking part a new question, asking us to discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly of blogging. 

So what has been good about blogging ? The best thing has probably been how it has brought me into communication with other academics out there, primarily those who have taken part in my interview series. I've really enjoyed doing that, and it has enabled me to learn more about the trials and tribulations of professional academic life. Something else that has always brought a smile to my face has been in receiving praise from my readers, who seem to really appreciate the interview series; that makes me feel that I am making a valuable contribution, and inspires me to continue.

Conversely, I think that I have really only had one bad or ugly experience with blogging, and that is something which occurred back in June 2012. I used my blog to counter the libellous, nonsensical smears made against Pagan studies scholar and archaeologist Caroline J. Tully (of the Necropolis Now blog) by a pseudonymous and sanctimonious Pagan blogger. They in turn took to their own blog to have a moan about me, accusing me of being "self righteous", which I felt to be a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. Both their attacks on myself and Ms. Tully were absolute tosh and really rather vindicative, so while it was not an enjoyable experience dealing with them, I'm still really glad that I stood up against that particular bully blogger. Lies and smears really should be countered.

No comments:

Post a Comment